Wednesday, February 4, 2009

59 KONKANI ALBUMS AND STILL RECORDING!




59 KONKANI ALBUMS AND STILL RECORDING!


Lawry Travasso, the singing sensation of Konkani, back from Kuwait after launching his latest VCD, Ekuch Zap Kor, shares snippets about his journey on the Konkani stage with Walter Menezes.


He sets the Konkani stage on fire every time he steps on it. And when he sings, he casts a magic spell on the listeners and they always cry out: once more! He is only 35 and already on top of the world. On one occasion, while performing in Navelim, he was called for a record number of eight times on the stage for his comedy song, Moddganvcho Bazaar! In 2006, at a special ceremony held during Mario Menezes’ tiatr, Tanchem Chintat, Timvuim Mon’xam, he was crowned ‘The Melody King of Goa’.

He still ‘wears’ that crown, but not on his head. The big, golden pendant in the shape of a crown adorning his chain is a constant reminder of his remarkable journey on Konkani stage. With 59 audio and video albums under his belt, he has indeed come a long way.



The early days…

“I used to take part in the school gatherings and the programmes organized by our parish. My father provided constant support. When I was in the 8th standard, we formed a music group called Co-ordinators. I was the lead vocalist. We were soon playing at local weddings and doing a good job too! However, the band did not last long. Littles was our next experiment.”

The big break…

“I was in the 10th standard. My parents were worked up because they felt that playing for a band would mess up my studies. We were performing at a wedding in Curchorem when John Claro spotted me. ‘Can you sing a kantar in my tiatr, Rostadak Vostad?’ he asked. John Claro’s tiatr had a star-studded cast. M. Boyer, Mike Mehta, Wilmix-Sharon and Sabina. Did I develop cold feet? Oh, no! I just went there on the stage and sang my heart out.”

The climb to the top…

“Suddenly I found myself in the company of professionals. It was a wonderful feeling. John Claro offered me a small role in his next tiatr, Tambddi Mati and I sang two songs as well. The applause became louder in William de Curtorim’s Ankvarponn Sonsunk Zainam. And in C D Silva’s tiatr, Ganjil I not only sang but played the main role.”



The albums, the artists…

“During the last 12 years since I first stepped on stage, I have to my credit 59 Konkani audio and video albums. That I think is a record! All the leading lights of the Konkani stage have blessed my efforts and sung in my albums. I was privileged to have Lorna, Goa’s Nightingale, in Fottovlem. Most of the albums have been produced by Manfa Music and a few by V P Sinari and Music House. I have now started my own company, Travasso Music & Plastics which handles the nitty-gritty of producing an album once the master copy is received from the recording studio.”

The lyrics and the music…

“I live in a quiet village in Kepem. The Kushavati flows gently behind my house. This place inspires me. Sometimes, music comes first. Sometimes, it is the lyrics. Best time is late in the night when everyone around you is fast asleep. I focus on the values of life. Yes, there are comedy songs too and those that comment on current affairs.”

The world is a (Konkani) stage…

“Konkani stage has taken me all over the globe, from countries in the Gulf to Germany, Canada, Portugal and UK. Every time we go abroad with a tiatr, we feel we are doing something for Konkani avoi. Goans in these countries at once feel bonded with their motherland and their mother-tongue. Once, when we were performing in Swindon, the scene outside the hall was unbelievable. I felt like I was in Agxechea bazarant!”

The formidable four…

“I have worked under Prince Jacob, Roseferns, Milagres de Chandor, Pascoal Rodrigues and other directors. I am now exclusively with Mario Menezes. He is a great director and my guru. He fine-tuned my acting capabilities. Even today he corrects me. He crafts his story in such a way that the plot always revolves around Agnes D’Silva, Rosy Alvares, Mario and me. Naginn follows a similar pattern.”

The awards, the recognitions…

“In the tiatr competitions of Kala Akademi, I received the ‘Best Singer Award’ on four occasions. I was Gulab’s ‘Best Singer’ in 2005. Brain Box Institute, Assolna felicitated me in 2006 and in 2007, I was honoured by Konkani Songit Somajik Kola Kendr from Taleigao with Dr Jack de Sequeira Awards for ‘Best Singer’ and for ‘the highest number of Konkani albums’.”




The scales of (in)justice…

“I was part of Mario Menezes’ cultural group on the second day of the Poilem Konkani (Romi Lipi) Sahitya ani Sonvskruti Sommelon. We went there to express our solidarity with the organizers. Those who read and write Konkani in Romi script have received a raw deal. We have to fight against this injustice. Why should a writer be discriminated on the basis of script?”

The Tiatr Academy…

“Chief Minister Digambar-bab Kamat has proved that he means what he says. I salute him. I feel a lot of good will happen under the leadership of Tomazinho Cardozo.”

The road ahead…

“Having written and set to music more than 600 compositions, I would like to publish my book/s of Konkani songs, complete with notes and solfams. I would also like to produce another 41 albums before I turn 50! A 100 Konkani Albums, that will be a real record.

The parting words…

Please, please buy only original CDs and VCDs. If you purchase pirated copies, we, the artistes suffer. But Konkani avoi suffers the most!”

(courtesy: Gomantak Times / 3 February 2009)
>
http://www.goa-world.com/GOA/music/live.htm

No comments: